Monday, June 25, 2007

Neu! Trans Am

May the internet drown the world with exposure.


Just a few months ago, I was thinking that Trans Am's Sex Change was a tasty little mercury groove, rolling its metallic lustre through crevasses and pipelines while driving with what felt like a perfectly balanced miniscus. This was Thrill Jockey, the electronic psych-in-my-synthesizer label of the nineties, circa 2006.

Well, here's to balancing musical vectors with historical embarkation.

Expanding on my relatively short lived Kraut rock awareness spearheaded by my fascination with Can's Ege Bamyasi , I went on to discover Neu!. While the boy's post-Kraftwerk self-titled debut flies between gleaming smooth swiftness and a vicious dose of plexi-disassembly, the opening track may have well been "4,738 Regrets" 35 years later. Considering that amounts to 13 years at one regret a day, I wonder who they were mimicking in 1994. Signs point to Tortoise .


Neu! - Hallogallo [from Neu! , 1972]
Trans Am - 4,738 Regrets [from Sex Change , 2006]

As for Lieber Honig, the last song on Neu!, 1972 - it could be Kria Brekkan as a man, a few jaded steps left from of completely angelic.

I'm losing face.

-Tara

No comments: