Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Steve Reich vs. LCD Soundsystem

I spent a lot of time in resorts as a kid. During my weakest moments of socialization, my mother would scan the pool to find a child to satisfy my distraction for the forthcoming days; meaning any kid my age (plus or minus three years) whom was yet to be befriended. After that it was imminent enrollment in the crafts club; stuck inside the vortex of the kid’s Club Med nightmare, powerless to escape, making lady bugs out of paper.

But I should be empathetic - her naivete is no worse than me comparing Steve Reich to LCD Soundsystem . I realize these two songs merely share one shallow characteristic: stacatto piano cycles. Don’t try to shoot me down with the vocal approaches - I know choral coos and willfull proclamations are not one in the same.

Yet, somehow "You Are Whoever Your Thoughts Are" had me reminiscing about “All My Friends”.

LCD Soundsystem - All My Friends
[website]

Steve Reich - You Are Wherever Your Thoughts Are
[website]

So in defense of Reich: he is fleeting with the same urgency as the composer's of the Baroque era, working instead with a haunting and persisting minimalism that is steadily detering a soft and quiescent electronic apocolypse.

And LCD? The romance of hedonism traveling a metropolis with a heavy head of accusations. "North American Scum” clearly is the post-modern response to Bowie's "Young Americans."

If this were a mash-up, it would start with Reich at 3:40. But I'm still stuck on which song is snow falling on cedars and which is the settling of nuclear fallout.

-Tara

No comments: