Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Miracle Fortress and the Alberta wild rose

Cottan candy and benevolent whimsy in a pretty parcel of pink:


I digress: Grande Prairie, visiting my last living grandparent hours away from the town where my father grew up. This city is the prime exemplification of Alberta's boom (and eventual bust): suburbia is gaining like an epidemic, and every waitress at dinner walked in and got the serving job most people spend a year handing out menus in a pretty dress to obtain. Despite the canola fields and bolstering blue skies, I'm left thinking:

"Oh, gluttonous, material Alberta. You're the Canada that makes me want to celebrate July 1st parading inebriated around the streets among red leafs and white caps."

But on that day I was still on the Island in a dark mini theater, simplifying myself to a plethora of fuschia illusions over the music of Miracle Fortress. The notebook reports:

Purple-pink resonation in feet and tentacles (the sea).
Oh, how you dispose of opulent beauty and replace it with fists of bloom.
Oh, you frigid, flowering mass;
Sugar-coated synthesis, pay your pension to the pedal.


Yes, I have degenerated myself to an array of blissful summer effigies through the sonic semblance of Miracle Fortress. Generated by the mastermind Graham Van Pelt (also of the Toronto band Think About Life) it appears his debut solo album Five Roses wraps the nostalgia of being a kid, swimming in lollipop sugar and flying; all at the same time.

Miracle Fortress - Maybe Lately
Miracle Fortress - Hold Your Secrets to Your Heart


If anyone can disclose the very acute allusion in Maybe Lately to a very distinct Beach Boys melody line, you're one step further up the ladder than me on your Wilsonism's.

[MySpace]

I leave my Oma's tomorrow afternoon and return to the Island, and I have yet to be graced by a prairie thunder shower. One more sleep on the deck in hope.

-Tara

No comments: