Sunday, June 11, 2006

Slashed a Bean Bag Chair

Slashing a bean bag chair is something I could picture myself doing when I was nine, in and around the time I played a game called "Swim Like a Fish" in my neighbour's basement. In this game, the "fish" would "swim" blindfolded around the basement trying to tag the rather large bean bag carrying target that was the other "fish". Both "fish" would melodically repeat the game's title as a tracking device.

I never took out the machete in pursuit myself, but children of today are undeniably more aggressive than they were in the 90's. Let's keep this story under wraps.

As for Yo La Tengo' s new track Bean Bag Chair and the way it carries like a jovial musical parade, it's possible another benign and blistering Tengo sensation is approaching. The upcoming full-length I am Not Afraid of You and I Will Beat Your Ass (did I mention kids are getting more aggressive these days?) awaits us in September. But you already knew that.

You may not know: New Wave Hot Dogs ('87) and President Yo La Tengo ('89) exist together on one CD, a Matador re-issue that has evidently been floating around under my nose since sometime in '96. Everytime I listen to Yo La I am perplexed as to how I have made it this long without drowning amidst their entire discography. These two albums (in conjunction with Doolittle) may have saved my life from the synth pop of the late eighties if I wasn't still listening to Raffi. Oh Matador, remind me to get you something.

-Tara

No comments: