Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Pilgrims Swimming in the Lakes of Middle America

I never pictured the Mayflower sailing in with quite this much force. After wearing one of those silly white hats and holding a cornocopia completely mute for the duration of my Kindergarten's Thanksgiving play, I concluded that the pilgrims must have been rather bashful as they sailed in on the Mayflower. Between that staggering performance, our regular sing-a-longs about the 16th President (Abe), and the daily recitals of the Pledge of Alliegence, it is clear to me that I learned more about civil history in American kindergarten then I did about Canada during my entire Junior High and High School career in the Great White North.

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Kid Dakota (states and states) also tells a story of the Pilgrim. What he seems to do is take their victorious moment in history away by stearing the helm of the Mayflower right into the rocks, the ceremonial drummer boy parading like a lemming off the decks. Toggling between nihilism "we're not transcendental, there's nothing beyond you, there's nothing to hope for" and radio propoganda "the west is a future, it's bright and metallic, the west is a promise, the west isn't over", until the track breaks like the crash of '29.

Listen to Pilgrim on the Kid Dakota My Space, then continue your exploration into the heart of middle America with the water of 10,000 Lakes.

-Tara

No comments: