Sunday, November 14, 2010

Skate Antalya

(Antalya kay-kay)


I was returning to (what I decided was) the prime establishment of vegetarian cuisine in Antalya for a final meal before assuming the night bus, when I noticed something I managed to overlook previously en route to culinary consumption.


Having become highly qualified at interacting with myself; this is the internal dialogue that followed:

Tara: Is that...a skate shop?
Arat: obviously - have you failed to establish the modernity of the city, the liberal air, the...
Tara: ...yes yes yes, but I didn't think -
Arat: ...all such noise had already birthed a skate scene and an establishment to support it?
Tara: So much conviction in your aptitude; but, I suppose so; yes.
Arat: but check it, it's manifest.


Yes yes yes; it truly was. Ercan, the guy responsible for it all; who opened the shop in Antalya four months ago.

The next thing I know I spent the next week in Turkey skateboarding.






I met Ercan from Berlin (left, different from the first) behind the counter when I first found the store. He took an array of these photos with his far superior camera.


I forget the other kids name though we often called him Steve-o; reminiscent in appearance although this kid is of far higher integrity.




He's still in highschool and him and his friends can shred.



Steve-o talked cordially to the security guard at the below location pleading that his uncle was active in the government and until they built a skatepark in Antalya he said we could skate here.

It bought us a good half hour.


Steve-o and his girlfriend - she's seventeen and has been skating for three months. This pumped my heart full of joy.


Cengis listened to Philip Glass on my iPod for half an hour while we all drank on a cliff overlooking the marina. I wısh I could communicate with him verbally.



A parthenon-esque powerslide plate.


old-skool.


oh Antalya,

[figure a]


[figure b]


how you blossomed out of yourself.


Wherever to go from here.


konya, I suppose - amplify the juxtaposition.

[ollie and out]

1 comment:

Kenshi said...

I remember being at that exact same skate spot! I was waiting for a bus to take me to Cappadocia...