Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Rewalsar Lake

I decompressed from my month in Tibetan exile land with two days in Rewalsar, a holy lake half-way from Dharamsala to Delhi. I stayed at a monastery, climbed a mountain, and had my first coffee in two weeks.


Primary observation: you know it's winter in India when everyone in Himachal is huddled around fire pits made out of old ghee containers.

Still, the statue of Padmasambhava continues...


This 12-foot high spiritual monolith is intended to be gold when complete. I hear it's quite sunny in Rewalsar in the summer, so may logic grant it to be matte.



In circling the lake (monkeys, prayer flags, dogs); you pass temples of three distinct religions, like little points on a triangle: Hindu, Sikh, Buddhist. I vote for the red goompa.


The mighty climb up the mountain (loose the lake landmark, use the rice patty landmark, regain the lake) leads to a the cave where Padmasambhava meditated - remove your shoes.


...mind the spiderweb of prayer flags.


Yar.

No comments: