Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Agra and the apex of the Tourist Triangle


'T' is representative for both 'Tara', and 'tourist'.
'B' is representative of both 'boy' and 'bacca' (child), one of my ten learned Hindi nouns.

B: Misses, you want picture?
T: No, no picture.
B: One picture? Yes?
T: No, no picture.
[he sits]
B: Why?
T: No picture.
B: Why?
B: Because I don't want a picture.
[long pause]
B: You have rupee?
T: No, no rupees.
B: Yes, rupees. 10 rupees.
T: No, no rupees.
B: Yes.
T: No.
B: Yes.
T: Apka naam kya hai? [What is your name?]
B: Meera naam ____ hai. Apka naam kya hai? [My name is ____. What is your name?]

I don't remember his name, nor was I armed with any other phrases to reciprocate his eagerness to indulge in Hindi yabber. I (almost) surpassed my inherent position as a tourist slot machine. Almost. Unwilling to perpetuate the bang-for-a-buck foreigner/local child relationship, I'm left eschewing the problem, snagging pictures with my meek (3.0x) zoom as I hide behind trees. Yes, in this respect, I'm very much the stereotypical tourist they've observed repeatedly and used to mold a ludicrously simple and affluent income oppurtunity.


-Tara

No comments: